George Alec Effinger was a pro writer and part of the Clarion class of 1970. His first novel, What Entropy Means to Me (1972) was nominated for the Nebula Award. He achieved his greatest success, perhaps, with the trilogy of Marid Audran novels set in a 21st century Middle East, with cybernetic implants and modules allowing individuals to change their personalities or bodies. Other stories were the series of Maureen (Muffy) Birnbaum parodies which placed a preppy girl into a variety of science fictional, fantasy, and horror scenarios. He occasionally used the pseudonym of O. Niemand and was married, for a few years, to fellow writer Barbara Hambly.
He came in second place in the 1973 Campbell Award (which was the first year of the award). He was nominated for the 1972 Best Short Story Hugo, 1974 Best Novelette Hugo, 1985 Best Short Story Hugo, 1988 Best Novel Hugo, 1990 Best Novel Hugo, 1990 Best Novelette Hugo, and 1990 Best Novella Hugo.
Posthumously published in 2003 was Budayeen Nights, a collection of short stories and unfinished pieces.
Other Awards, Honors and GoHships:
- 1974 — Phoenix Award
- 1978 — Nutria Con
- 1979 — Toastmaster at Nutria Con '79
- 1989 — Necronomicon '89, MC at Con*Stellation VIII, Toastmaster at New Orleans Science Fiction Fantasy Festival
- 1990 — Loscon 17, Toastmaster at Rivercon XV
- 1991 — Minicon 26, Ad Astra 11, OKon '91, Contradiction 11, Toastmaster at Windycon XVIII
- 1992 — Context V
- 1993 — Westercon 46, ISFiC Guest at Windycon XX
- 1994 — Ad Astra 14, 1994 World Fantasy Convention, Phrolicon 10, ISFiC Guest at Windycon XXI
- 1995 — Dragon*Con 1995
- 1996 — ISFiC Guest at Windycon XXIII
- 1997 — Conestoga '97
- 1998 — Demicon 9
- 1999 — DeepSouthCon 37, Conestoga '99
- 2000 — Lunacon 43
- 2013 — CONtraflow III (memorial guest)
- Nebula Award
- Seiun Award
For more on his career, see http://www.sf-encyclopedia.com/entry/effinger_george_alec
|This is a stub biography page. Please extend it by adding more information about the person, such as fanzines and apazines published, awards, clubs, conventions worked on, GoHships, impact on fandom, external links, anecdotes, etc.|